Here are my notes from Francis Chan’s message at Exponential last week. Good stuff.
- Church planting doesn’t have to be a miserable experience. It can be great, even when there are stressful times here and there.
- Always struggled with the book of Acts because it looks so different from today.
- Acts 4:13 – they recognized they had been Jesus b/c of their boldness and they recognized they had been with Jesus.
- We have people in our church that are incredibly educated but lack the boldness to lead and serve.
- Paul asked the church to pray for him to have more boldness..he prayed this when he was possibly the boldest man for Christ at the time.
- God wants to use the ordinary and foolish things to astonish the world. These ordinary men had a boldness about them.
- If I could go back 15 years and start over, I would ask for more boldness.
- I’m finally saying things that I’ve been thinking for the last 15 years.
exogesis vs isogesis –
exogesis – start from the scriptures, study what does this say, lead out from the truth
isogesis – already have a thought and a theology and take verses from the Bible to prove or fit your point
- we need an exegetical approach to church planting and ministry
- False religions, teachings and cults come from an isogetical approach to the Bible:
- Mormons – you would never start from scripture and come up with jesus had a great great grandfather
- Jehovah Witnesses – you would never start by just reading the Bible and say “i got it, Jesus was Michael the archangel.”
- just get alone, believe in the Holy Spirit and study the Bible by yourself was his response to them
- Would we consider that as a church
- When we started our church, we “know” what we need yet is that what we would start with if we started from Scripture
- I’ve been preaching exegetically but haven’t always been living that way
- If I just started with Scripture what would my theology be
- Gangs are more like family often moreso than our churches
- One former gang member – “It’s like Satan stole God’s playbook”
- We need the boldness of Elijah – 450 prophets of Baal, and he basically told them You’re going down
- The false prophets, after the fire fell from heaven, were just saying “The Lord is God”
- When was the last time people left saying The Lord is God
- Sometimes our worship resembles more the prophets of Baal vs Elijah’s experience – a lot of noise and stuff going on but no presence of God
- Elijah was a man like us but prayed earnestly. He actually didn’t pray that long.
It is time for us to REALLY begin to believe in the power of the Holy Spirit
Have a comment to add?